Find small town charm and outdoor adventure in this wonderful mountain community. Choose from hiking, mountain biking, taking the zip-line, skiing, and so much more. Follow our guides for all of the best things to do in Fernie on your active weekend getaway!
How To Get There
Fernie is located in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. It is only a few hours drive from most places in Southern BC and Southern Alberta. Northern Washington, Idaho, and Montana are also very close. The closest airport to Fernie is a 1 hour drive away in Cranbrook, BC.
Best Time To Travel
Depending on what you like to do, you can find things to do in Fernie at any time of year. Find amazing hiking and mountain biking in the summer months, with skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. The fall will offer beautiful colors and a cooler climate.
Average Daily Budget
The average daily budget in Fernie will completely depend on where you stay and what you choose to do. If you plan to stay in a hostel, do mostly free activities and bring your own gear you can stay for relatively cheap. If you decide to stay at a nice place and spend your days on the ski hill or renting a bunch of gear, the price will raise substantially.
Daily budget when staying in a hostel, bringing your own gear and doing mostly free or cheap activities: $90-105 CAD
- Accommodation: $35 CAD per night for a single bed in a hostel
- Breakfast: $6-10 CAD (FREE if staying in a Bed & Breakfast)
- Lunch: $10-15 CAD
- Dinner: $15-30 CAD
- Attractions & Rentals: $25 CAD
Daily Budget when staying in a nice hotel, skiing or renting gear for snowshoeing/fat biking/etc each day: $230+ CAD
Agoda is perfect for finding everything from hostels and B&B`s to 5 star hotels. You can search by map or by price and they typically have free cancellation.
- Budget: $35 CAD for a single bed in a hostel dorm or $70-100 CAD per night for 2 people. Either a private room in an Airbnb or a double room in the Raging Elk Hostel. Breakfast is not included.
- Mid-range: $100-225 CAD per night for 2 people. Fernie has a ton of hotels and Bed & Breakfasts, offering many options within this price range. Breakfast is included in the B&B`s and with some hotel rooms.
- Luxury: $225+ CAD per night for 2 people. Fernie has a few really nice hotels if you want to treat yourself to a luxury getaway.
Our Top Pick: Birch Meadows B&B. We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts and there is nothing quite like Birch Meadows. Located just west of Fernie you get your own cabin with a fireplace. The views are stunning and you can enjoy them from your deck or from the brand new hot tub. Sonya and Marcel are the most amazing hosts; making recommendations and helping out in any way possible. The breakfast consists of a buffet as well as a hot meal which is always delicious. They have a large kitchen for the guests along with a BBQ allowing you to cook your own meals.
- Get a hotel or B&B with breakfast included
- Book your ski lift ticket a few days before online to save 18-20%
- Stay somewhere with access to a kitchen
- Bring your own gear if you plan to do biking, skiing, floating down the river, etc.
- take advantage of all the FREE trails and things to do in Fernie! things to do in fernie